Staff Report #2
April 4, 2023
To All Members of the Accessible Public Transit Service Advisory Committee
Re: Specialized Service Update
That the report be NOTED and FILED
At the meeting of March 6, 2023, the Commission heard a delegation with respect to the Specialized Transit Service.
The delegation made a number of recommendations relating to the service which are set out below.
- Strike a Paratransit working group that includes LTC staff, community advocates and a commissioner that will report regularly to the LTC board
- By September 2023
- Same-day booking options
- Smart card access in every bus
- Sensitivity training for drivers
- By January 2024
- Online/app booking option
- Live bus tracking
- Increased efficiency so riders do not spend excessive amounts of time on the bus
- 4-Year Goal
- Increase ride capacity by 10% year over year
The Commission directed administration to provide a report back on the issues and implications associated with the recommendations. Consistent with the mandate of the Accessible Public Transit Service Advisory Committee, the Commission will be encouraged to ensure that APTSAC is consulted and given the opportunity to provide input and recommendations with respect to the various recommendations.
Kelly S. Paleczny, General Manager