Do I have to start using a Smart Card for my bus pass now?
Where can I get a Smart Card?
How much does a Smart Card cost?
What are the benefits of a Smart Card?
A Smart Card provides many benefits and flexibility for the user.
- Smart Cards are transferrable between users if the fare loaded is applicable to the user (an adult cannot board with a Student stored value Smart Card). Your Smart Card can be used to pay up to 10 fares for 10 people. The appropriate fare will be deducted and transfers automatically loaded.
- Smart Cards allow the users flexibility to load a monthly pass one month and stored value another if you will not get full use of the monthly pass cost.
- A stored value user pays less than a cash fare at $1.90 for an Adult fare and $1.54 for Student fare.
- Eliminates the possibility of losing your transfer – 90 minute transfers are automatically loaded on your card at time of tapping.
- If registered, a lost card can be blocked online (can take up to 24 hrs) and remaining balance can be replaced for an administrative fee of $5.00 – replacement can take up to 2 business days.
What is stored value?
Stored value allows riders to load an amount to their Smart Card and then the balance declines as it is used to ride. Stored Value fares will reflect that of ticket prices – Adult fare $1.90, Student fare $1.54 and Senior fare $1.43.
A Smart Card must first be obtained at an LTC location or have been previously used for a monthly pass. The Smart Card can be reloaded online through the web portal or in person at an LTC location. Visit our website for further instructions.
Why is LTC moving to a Smart Card system?
LTC completed a business case assessment for the Smart Card system, which determined that the $3.7 million investment (fully funded by Provincial Gas Tax) has an expected payback of 8 years, noting in addition to the payback, the system:
– provides greater flexibility for the customer in terms of fare options and pricing
– lowers/contains fare administration cost – i.e. currently averaging $0.09 per average cash, ticket and monthly pass fare
– provides more accurate and timely revenue and ridership counts
– links ridership and service data (rides & revenue by time of day, day of week, route)
– supports improved boarding time, reducing dwell time at stops
– mitigates fare disputes i.e. tendering of appropriate fare and transfer use
How long do I use my Smart Card?
Why do some Smart Cards have a “C” in the bottom corner?
Can I still pay a cash fare?
Will I still be able to buy tickets?
Adult, Student and Senior stored value Smart Cards?
How will the Operator know what card has been tapped?
What is happening to paper monthly passes?
Loading Smart Card
How long does it take for my card to be updated with a new pass or stored value?
If you load a new pass or stored value on your card at a location with a point of sale terminal, your card will be updated immediately. If you load a new pass on your card via the internet, you should allow 48 hours for your card to be updated.
This delay is due to the required time for the online transaction to be communicated to the devices on all LTC vehicles. To be sure this has happened in time to use the pass, we suggest you load your next monthly pass 3 days before the current pass expires.
Why does it take up to 24 hours for my online load to appear on my card?
Can I have both a monthly pass and stored value on my Smart Card?
What if I do not load my Smart Card in time and run out of stored value or my monthly pass has expired?
If you tap your Smart Card and the following exists:
- There is no monthly pass active
- There is not a valid transfer present
- The remaining stored value does not cover the amount of fare required for a single ride
The Smart Card will permit one ride by allowing the balance to go into a negative. This negative balance is repaid the next time you add stored value to the card. For example, if your card has a negative balance of $1.90 and you add $20 to the card, your new stored value balance will be $18.10.
How do I load stored value onto my Smart Card?
How much stored value can be loaded onto a Smart Card?
How do I check my Smart Card stored value balance?
Using a Smart Card
When do I start using my Smart Card?
The monthly pass loaded on your card is effective the 1st of the month you purchased it for (eg. March Citipass is valid beginning March 1st)
If you have a pass from the current month also loaded, you can continue using your card until the last day of the current month.
Note: Monthly passes are available for purchase from the 15th of the previous month to the 10th of the current month.
How do I use my Smart Card to get on the bus?
Do I need to show my LTC photo id to the Operator when I use my Smart Card?
How do transfers work?
When you tap upon boarding the bus, a 90 minute transfer time will be automatically added to your card that will start counting down once tapped.
The 90 minute transfer allows for continued use of transit services for a period of 90 minutes without an additional fare. It is in no way tied to the schedule adherence of the system.
What do I do if my Smart Card doesn’t work?
If you see a red screen with an X, we ask that you take the following steps:
- Tap your card again, being careful to hold your card near the reader for 3 seconds
- If you continue to experience issues with your card, please bring your card to an LTC location to be checked/replaced.
Registering & Lost Smart Card
Do I have to register my card online?
Why should I consider registering my card?
There are a number of benefits associated with registering your card, noting cards that have been registered:
- can be blocked if lost or stolen
- can be replaced if they are lost or stolen
- can have their transaction history viewed on the web portal
- can have their purchase history printed
- can be revalued online via the web portal
- can set up reoccurring purchases