Staff Report #4
September 10, 2019
To All Members of the Accessible Public Transit Service Advisory Committee
Re: AODA Update – Accessibility Plan Update
That the report be RECEIVED for review and comment with respect to items for inclusion in the next multi-year Accessibility Plan.
Consistent with the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) regulations, the Commission’s Accessibility Plan is scheduled for update.
This report provides an overview of the various initiatives included in the previous multi-year plan as set out in Enclosure I, and is intended to begin discussion with the Committee on initiatives that should be included in the next plan.
Conventional Transit Initiatives in the last Accessibility Plan included:
- Accessible bus stops
- Accessible bus fleet
- Accessible bus routes
- Smart Bus technology (next stop announcements, external route announcements, real-time bus information, etc.)
- Bus stop sign update
- Compliance with specific requirements relating to conventional transit services
Specialized Transit initiatives in the last Accessibility Plan included:
- Process for Estimating Demand for Specialized Services
- Eligibility Criteria (to include Temporary)
- Steps to Reduce Wait Times
- Procedures to Address Equipment Failures
- Compliance with specific regulatory requirements relating to specialized services
In addition, the previous Accessibility Plan included a copy of the Commission’s Accessible Customer Service Policy, consistent with AODA requirements.
As indicated in Staff Report #3, dated May 21, 2019, the Voice of the Customer survey results for both the Conventional and Specialized services offered insight into Customer expectations and priorities. This information should be considered for inclusion where appropriate in the next multi-year Accessibility Plan.
Subsequent to Committee feedback with respect to items for inclusion in the next Accessibility Plan, administration will prepare a draft plan for Committee review and recommendation to the Commission.
I – 2012-2025 Accessibility Plan (for APTSAC members only)
Kelly S. Paleczny, General Manager